Many vegetarian or vegan people like to feed their pet dogs vegetarian dog food.
Like many people follow a vegetarian diet for longer life, a vegetarian diet for dogs also has in some cases has helped dogs to live longer.
By understanding the nutrition requirements of the dog, the amount of daily value percentage need in a dog's diet, you can design a good balanced vegetarian diet for your dog.
Sometimes, to avoid deficiencies certain vegetarian dog food supplements can also be added. Here are the nutrition requirements you need to observe for your pet, and the foodstuffs which are good source of these nutrients.
Vegetarian Dog Food
Dogs are considered to be omnivores, and hence a vegetarian dog food diet can be provided to them. Despite the misconception of dogs being strictly meat eaters. Here are the important nutrients that need to be present in the vegetarian dog food diet to ensure good dog health.
* Dietary protein foodstuffs are a must in a vegetarian dog food diet. The sources are soybean, canola, and rapeseed protein concentrates.
* For dietary energy, foods like vegetable oils or carbohydrate rich sources like wheat middling or corn meal can be used.
* In a similar manner by-product foodstuffs like tomato pomace or distillers dried or brewer's grains can be also added.
* Many dietary supplements will have the proper amount of vitamins and minerals in them. However, it is good if you add these nutrient foodstuffs separately too, for preventing any deficiencies which can lead to dog health problems. For example, when the commercial foodstuffs are processed there can be loss of thiamine vitamin, and hence additional supplements of such nutrients should be added.
* Fiber, is another important component of a dog's diet. However, excessive feeding can have some side effects, and deficiency can led to digestive system related problems.
To make the recipes even more healthy, use organic food ingredients for extra dog care. Here are two recipes you can prepare for your pet dog.
Veg Dog Food Biscuits Recipe
The things you require are:
* Vanilla, 1 teaspoon
* Eggs, 4
* Honey, 3 tablespoon
* Whole wheat flour, 1 cup
* Shortening, ½ cup
* Baking powder, ½ tablespoon
* Carob powder, ¼ cup
In a large bowl, mix cream shortening and honey, then add the rest of the ingredients and beat everything well. To bake the biscuits, bake in a greased cookie sheet of size 10 by 15" for about 25 minutes at 350 ºF. Let the biscuits cool down and serve.
Homemade Vegetable Stew Recipe
The things you require to make the stew are:
* Eggplants, peeled & cubed, 1
* Potato, peeled & cubed, 1
* Oregano or basil, 1 tablespoons
* Olive oil, 3 tablespoons
* Sweet pepper, sliced, 1
* Zucchini, sliced, 1
* Yellow squash, sliced, 1
* Garlic cloves, crushed, 1
In a sauce pan, heat some oil and add garlic and wait till its becomes light brown in color, then add all the vegetables and mix well. Let the mix boil for 2 minutes, and on low heat, cook it for half an hour. Add salt and pepper to taste, cook for further 15 minutes, let it cool and serve.
Above were the essential nutrients that need to be present in a vegetarian dog food diet, and two homemade vegetarian dog food recipes. Many commercial vegetarian dog foods are available in the stores, but make sure you buy FDA approved products.
-- from "Vegetarian Dog Food" article on Buzzle