How many of these heart-healthy practices are you implementing consistently? They're not difficult or expensive -- and they can keep you alive and active for years if you remain faithful to them.
(1) Keep your weight down. Obesity is a major factor in heart disease. Try to eat only when you're practically starving, and never just "because it's time" for a scheduled meal. Ascetic monks of all faiths typically eat one meal per day, around noon.
(2) Avoid stress and practice stress relieving techniques like walking, listening to soothing music, watching comedy films, being kind to others, helping the less fortunate, spending time in positive contemplation of nature and your inner self.
(3) Add raw nuts (all varieties, except peanuts) to your diet. They contain essential omega-3 fatty acids.
(4) Drink at least ten 8 ounce glasses of water daily.
(5) Reduce sodium (salt) in your diet to almost zero. Just because something is salted doesn't mean you have to consume the salt on it. Brush the salt off french fries and canned nuts.
(6) Walk a decent length twice a day. If you need motivation or an added reason, get a dog from an animal shelter and take it out on walks frequently.
(7) Eat more fruit.
(8) Eat avocados.
(9) Eat whole grains.
(10) Eat fish.
(11) Eat wheat germ. Add it to your cereal and recipes.
(12) Avoid soft drinks.
(13) Avoid MSG.
(14) Avoid saccharine (Sweet'n Low).
(15) Eat fresh or frozen vegetables.
(16) Avoid canned vegetables.
(18) Eat more fresh garlic.
(19) Eat more fresh onion.
(20) Take grape seed extract.
(21) Eat 3 medium size tomatoes daily.
(22) Drink herbal dandelion tea.
(23) Take capsicum (cayenne pepper).
(24) Take black cohosh.
(25) Take vitamin C supplements with bioflavoids and L-lysine.
(26) Take lecithin granules or capsules.
(27) Take calcium supplements.
(28) Take magnesium supplements.
(29) Get plenty of rest and a good night's sleep.
(30) Reduce anxiety, stop worrying and complaining, learn how to solve problems rather than passively suffer.
EMERGENCY: If your heart starts acting funny, and you think something is wrong, seek medical help. Some people have found drinking straight hot sauce, like Tobasco, is effective in soothing and temporarily assisting the heart. Or mix a good amount of cayenne red pepper into a glass of water or juice and chug it down. This may help you greatly.